Sumary of U.K.’s Sunak Under Pressure Over Handling of Greensill Aid Bid:
- Sunak told Cameron he had asked his team to look at ways to give Greensill access to the state pandemic corporate support program last year, according to text messages released Thursday by the government..
- Since he became finance minister weeks before the pandemic hit last year, he has been lauded for his handling of the economy and touted as a future prime minister after designing an emergency support package for businesses and workers..
- The Treasury said in its disclosure that Cameron had also contacted by telephone the junior Treasury ministers John Glen and Jesse Norman..
- “I think it important that, whoever people are, whether they’re prime ministers or anyone else, that they follow the rules and the guidelines that we have in place for lobbying,”.
- Greensill Capital collapsed in March in one of the most spectacular financial blow-ups of recent years, sending shock waves through Swiss banking giant Credit Suisse Group AG and two of Japan largest firms..
- jobs are at risk because the future of businesses in Sanjeev Gupta GFG Alliance — including steel mills around the country — is in doubt without access to credit from Greensill…