Sumary of The Church, an Arts Center in Sag Harbor, Is Opening:
- The Church, a nonprofit arts center in Sag Harbor, N.Y., founded by the artists Eric Fischl and April Gornik, will begin to welcome visitors on April 15..
- Two tours of the center, a former Methodist church built in 1832, will be offered daily, Thursday through Monday..
- “We want the Church to stand as a beacon of hope and renewal through continual exploration and reinterpretation, which is the domain of the arts.”.
- The center first guests will have the opportunity to view art by Kerry James Marshall and Awol Erizku as they become acquainted with the 10,048-square-foot space..
- (2012) by Erizku, have been arranged by Fischl and Sara Cochran, the Church executive director and chief curator, as an installation meant to stimulate “dialogue about nature, beauty, history and race.”.
- A collection of portraits by Fischl, of 20 cultural luminaries who had strong connections to Sag Harbor, which is on Long Island East End, will also be on view — on the building windows….