Sumary of Coming Crunch For Retailers Pits Sustainability v. Inflation:
- Retail sales for this March hit an all-time record $557 million and continued strong in April at $555 million, according to the Census Bureau Monthly Retail Trade Report..
- But it worth noting that this April total was also a big jump from 2019, before the pandemic — up 26 percent over two years..
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics most recent report on job openings (for April) recorded the highest number in two decades..
- For example, Timberland TSBK , the footwear and clothing retailer and manufacturer, began issuing an annual corporate social responsibility report 20 years ago..
- Pucker says, in a piece he recently wrote for the Harvard Business Review, that the company dropped the Green Index labelling and stopped the practice of reporting on Timberland carbon emissions..
- Similarly, Yvon Chouinard, founder of Patagonia, the billion-dollar clothing company that has made sustainability a core governance issue, recently bemoaned the influence on corporate behavior of the focus on stock prices….