Sumary of Biden Admin Announces Plans To Curb ‘Ghost Guns’, Push ‘Red Flag’ Legislation:
- President Joe Biden administration is taking action to stop the proliferation of so-called ghost guns and push states to adopt “red flag”.
- “Whether Congress acts or not, I’m going to use all the resources at my disposal as president to keep the American people safe from gun violence.”.
- and the nomination of David Chipman, a former adviser to the gun control advocacy group Everytown for Gun Safety and a current adviser at Giffords, an organization that says it works to stop gun violence, as the director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF)..
- Giffords Law Center Senior Policy Advisor David Chipman speaks at a House Judiciary Committee hearing on assault weapons on Capitol Hill in Washington on Sept..
- (Andrew Harnik/AP Photo) Biden is still urging Congress to pass legislation to reduce gun violence, the administration said, but he and other officials “will not wait for Congress to act to take its own steps—fully within the Administration authority and the Second Amendment—to save lives.”.
- (David Zalubowski/AP Photo) Democrats quickly praised the Biden administration actions on guns, including the planned nomination of Chipman..
- Everytown for Gun Safety and its grassroots networks, Moms Demand Action and Students Demand Action, also cheered the actions..
- “Each of these executive actions will start to address the epidemic of gun violence that has raged throughout the pandemic, and begin to make good on President Biden promise to be the strongest gun safety president in history,”.
- (Spencer Platt/Getty Images) Biden has struggled to find traction for gun restriction proposals in Congress, especially in the 50–50 Senate, where Democrats maintain a slim majority only by virtue of Vice President Kamala Harris tiebreaking vote…