Sumary of The Brexit sausages row looks like stalemate unless Joe Biden can solve it | Anand Menon:
- The UK and the EU are at loggerheads, specifically over chilled meats, but more generally over the infamous Northern Ireland protocol..
- It will be for future generations to figure out what Boris Johnson had in mind when it comes to the protocol he negotiated, signed and persuaded parliament to approve..
- The UK has unilaterally delayed putting in place some of the measures the EU says the protocol implies (notably a ban on the export of chilled meat – including sausages – across the Irish Sea) and is threatening to delay still further..
- solution to Northern Ireland protocol row ‘easily doable’, says Johnson – video For the UK, such an outcome is unacceptable..
- Unionist fury at the protocol – which they see as putting Northern Ireland in the same economy (at least for goods) as the Republic of Ireland while distancing it from that of the UK – is real..
- For non-lawyers, that means impose trade sanctions for breaches of the withdrawal agreement of 2019, which contains the protocol….