Sumary of Brazil’s brain drain is getting worse:
- Jul 24th 2021São PauloBARBARA GOMES has almost completed her doctorate in biomedicine at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ), one of the best in Brazil.
- As a result she, like many of her cohort, wants to leave Brazil.
- ”Brazilian emigration to OECD countries has been rising for years, but took off especially in 2017, growing by 24% from the previous year.
- Nearly 30% of all Brazilians living in OECD countries have a university education.
- In the past two years, applications by Brazilian skilled workers for permanent visas in the United States, the main destination for those leaving Brazil, rose by 30% to the highest level in at least ten years.
- His guru, Olavo de Carvalho, has said that Brazil’s universities are hives of drugs, orgies and communist propaganda.
- At least six professors who criticised the president’s actions during the pandemic, which has so far killed more than 540,000 Brazilians, were investigated by the government.
- “Being in a country that has daily attacks on science is very discouraging,” says Ana Carneiro, a professor who studies the Brazilian diaspora at UNICAMP, a university in the state of São Paulo.