Sumary of Pick n Pay CEO wants alcohol sales ban to be lifted:
- Pick n Pay CEO Pieter Boone says he believes it is time for the president to announce a lifting of the ban on liquor sales.
- Grocery retailer Pick n Pay’s CEO Pieter Boone says the alcohol sales ban urgently needs to be lifted, especially in the aftermath of last week’s widespread rioting and looting as many independent retailers won’t survive if it goes on for much longer,”We have hopefully passed the peak of the Covid-19 third wave.
- In normal times, many independent shopkeepers depend on responsible liquor sales to sustain their businesses, and [they] will not survive another prolonged ban,” Boone said.
- “The social unrest, looting, and damage [have] dealt them a further body blow – [and have released] a large amount of looted liquor into the illicit market.
- “By the end of next week, we will have repaired and be ready to reopen 28 of our 76 severely damaged liquor stores in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.