Sumary of Namibia: Virtual Meeting for Conference of Parties:
- DUE to the Covid-19 global pandemic, the conference of parties of three international environmental agreements aimed at protecting human health and the environment from hazardous chemical waste will be held virtually and jointly this month.
- This was said by the assistant programme officer in the policy and strategic unit at the United Nations Environment Programme (Unep), Giovanna Moire, when she addressed a webinar on understanding chemicals and waste management on 6 July.
- These sessions are organised through the African, Caribbean and Pacific programme, supporting the understanding of multilateral environmental agreements in the two regions of the world.
- The webinar was attended by about 70 journalists from across Africa, who report on environmental issues and was organised by Unep in collaboration with the African Network of Environmental Journalists.
- Moire explained that the three conventions are legally binding global instruments that address environmental problems that have a trans-boundary nature and often a global scope, which can only be addressed effectively through international cooperation.