Sumary of Namibia: Meatco Eyes DRC, Ghana for Northern Beef:
- IN a quest to secure a market for the northern livestock farmers, the national meat company, Meatco, is exploring new markets in Ghana and the DRC.
- Kwenani was appointed last year, and his move to create a market for northern farmers in other areas of Africa comes at a time when the African Development Bank (AfDB) has launched an Africa-wide livestock investment master plan.
- The plan is to strengthen the agriculture sector, particularly the livestock sub-sector whose true potential remains untapped, said the bank.
- The northern livestock subsector has limited economic development and remains a contributor to persistent poverty and deteriorating food and nutrition security across the continent, the bank’s opening statement of the master plan reads.
- This is despite the region having an estimated 1,6 million cattle, the state-owned enterprise said in its 2020/21 financial report.
- Namibian beef is considered to be the best in sub-Saharan African and if the African markets are explored, it would lead to the company finding a lasting solution for these farmers, the company said in its recently released annual report.