Sumary of Namibia: Kavango East Spends N$124m On School Renovations:
- KAVANGO East region last year spent N$124 million on the renovation of two schools.
- Linus Shashipapo Secondary School was renovated for N$91 million and Andara Combined School for N$33m, Kavango East region governor Bonifatius Wakudumo revealed in his state of the region address last Friday.
- He also said three early childhood development centres were constructed in the region at a cost of N$3,3 million.
- Justifying the amounts spent on the two schools, the governor told The Namibian: “Andara had major renovation of existing structures and expansions like laboratories, libraries and new administration offices.
- ” Despite the disruption caused by Covid-19 to the education system, the governor commended St Boniface and Rukonga Vision School, which were among the top 10 performing schools in the country in the public and private sector.
- Furthermore, the governor indicated that in the period under review (2021/2021), the Kavango East region received N$216 687 000. “The Kavango East Regional Council spent N$1 584 616.00 on 44 income-generating projects supporting 186 beneficiaries, which translates into the same number of permanent jobs being created,” he reported.
- Sign up for free AllAfrica Newsletters Get the latest in African news delivered straight to your inbox Wakudumo lauded the work of all frontline workers under essential services in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- “Kavango East reactivated a regional disaster risk management committee to help deal with the surge in Covid-19 cases.