Sumary of Kenya: Outcry Over Low Allocation for FGM in Budget:
- Gender and human rights activists have raised concerns over the continued underfunding of the Anti-FGM Board in the country’s annual budget..
- The Anti-FGM Board is the agency the country is banking on to help eliminate the outlawed cultural practice and implement the Prohibition of FGM Act 2011..
- In the 2021/2022 budget being presented at the National Assembly by Treasury CS Ukur Yattani today, only Sh102 million has been allocated to the board against a request of Sh500 million..
- The underfunding of the board has been a subject of a heated conversation on social media platforms with gender and human right activists calling for a review of the allocation..
- Let us raise our voices on behalf of the board so that the National Assembly can find it wise to look into the matter before they approve the budget,”.
- Anti-FGM Board Chief Executive Officer Bernadette Loloju, said there is need for the agency to be adequately funded if it has to achieve a FGM-free country….