Sumary of Ghana upgraded its census to make it more inclusive: but old tensions still surfaced:
- Ghana has just carried out its latest population and housing census.
- For the first time a digital data capture and transfer system was used.
- The use of the digital innovations offered important advantages.
- For example, it facilitated real-time data quality monitoring and reduced data processing time.
- This is helping the census meet its commitment to analysing the living conditions of the population.
- In a research paper published last year I examined the digital transformation of the Ghanaian population data system.
- For example, the aim of this year’s digital census was to give “everyone in the country a voice”.
- Examples include the fact that new census categories cover disability status.