Sumary of COVID-19: Africa ‘third wave’ not yet over, while vaccine inequity threatens all:
- This small step forward offers hope and inspiration but must not mask the big picture for Africa,” said Dr Matshidiso Moeti, WHO Regional Director for Africa.
- The highly transmissible Delta variant has been found in 26 countries, while the Alpha and Beta variants have been reported in 38 and 35 nations, respectively.
- “To increase uptake, countries must scale up operations, investments on operational costs and address vaccine confidence.
- African countries will also have to address fears surrounding side-effects, WHO added, a major factor in people’s reluctance to get vaccinated.
- Recommended actions include using political and traditional leaders as “vaccine champions”, community mobilization, and addressing misinformation on social media.