Sumary of Council Tax ‘crisis’ mounts for Brits as millions worry about bills – could you get help?:
- Council tax is a regular levy collected to help councils cover the costs of the services they provide.
- Council tax can vary dependent on where a person lives, but as a regular cost, it may prove a financial burden.
- She said: “With seven million worried about affording their council tax bills in the next year and council tax arrears reaching crisis point, urgent action is required to help people struggling to pay.
- “The current system of council tax collection and support isn’t working for anyone.
- “Without the permanent funding needed to provide 100 percent council tax support for those who need it, local authorities are taking the costly route of attempting to collect partial amounts from people who simply cannot afford to pay.
- “This not only leaves councils with limited to no returns on the tax they need to fund vital local services, but risks a swift escalation of debt problems for households that are already struggling.