Sumary of BEN WILKINSON: The DWP’s performance on pensions has been shameful:
- Yet we’ve heard countless stories of pensioners struggling to access vital income.
- We’ve heard from those in need who were denied access to other crucial benefit payments.
- Money Mail has written plenty about customer service disasters during the pandemic — with Covid still being used as an excuse for long call waiting times or missing paperwork.
- The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman ruled this summer that the DWP had failed to properly warn millions of women that their state pension age was rising from 60 to 66. And now those women are turning 66, they are being made to wait even longer thanks to more blunders from the department.
- They have been egged on by celebrities and influencers on social media recklessly promoting volatile cryptocurrency or impenetrable forex trading.