Sumary of New project to help 30 developing countries tackle marine litter scourge:
- The GloLitter Partnerships Project will support 30 developing countries in preventing and reducing marine litter from the maritime transport and fisheries sectors, which includes plastic litter such as lost or discarded fishing gear..
- The project was launched on Thursday by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the International Maritime Organization (IMO), with initial funding from Norway..
- Protecting the marine environment is the objective of Sustainable Development Goal 14, part of the 2030 Agenda to create a more just and equitable future for all people and the planet..
- Actions will include encouraging fishing gear to be marked so that it can be traced if lost or discarded at sea..
- Another focus will be on the availability and adequacy of port reception facilities and their connection to national waste management systems….