Sumary of US meat exporters eye recovery in Saudi market:
- US meat manufacturers are hoping that Saudi Arabia change in the rules related to the shelf life of meat imports will result in increased sales growth in the Kingdom..
- The US Meat Export Federation (USMEF) reported that the Saudi Food and Drug Authority recently approved a new rule increasing the shelf life for chilled beef sold in Saudi Arabia by 50 days..
- Previously the shelf life was 70 days, but the new limit of 120 days may help spur a recovery in sales growth for American producers..
- “Saudi Arabia previous shelf-life protocol really limited US exporters’ ability to ocean-freight chilled beef to Saudi Arabia..
- Saudi Arabia expanded their chilled beef shelf-life standard to 120 days, so now it makes ocean-freighting much more commercially viable.”.
- US beef exports to Saudi Arabia were showing steady growth until the trade was suspended in 2012 when a case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy, otherwise known as mad cow disease, was discovered in California…