Sumary of APEDA to study millets value chain for exports as offtake revives across the globe:
- To give impetus to export of such products, including millets, and removing the bottlenecks in their supply chains..
- Growth prospects APEDA has come up with various measures to promote exports and farming of millets as it sees increased interest in reviving their consumption..
- One of the major reasons that APEDA has identified in promoting millets’ export is that the global market size is expected to expand 33 per cent to $12 billion (₹ 87,571 crore) by 2025 from $9 billion (₹65,678 crore), he said..
- This has resulted in India exporting nearly 80,000 tonnes of millets during the April-February period of last fiscal valued at nearly $25 million (₹183.68 crore) compared with 71,200 tonnes worth $27.2 million (₹191.19 crore)..
- US far ahead In the global export market, India ranks second with the US far ahead in terms of value realisation, according to official data..
- Between 2017 and 2019, US millets’ export value more than doubled to $58.67 million from $25.84 million, while Indian shipments value increased from $22.67 million to $28.49 million….