Sumary of Female surfers ride the wave to China’s Hainan island:
- Jul 24th 2021HOUHAI BAYBELLA LIU’S family was aghast when she returned to her home inland after a year on Hainan, an island province in the south.
- In fact, the former dietician had taken up full-time surfing.
- When an American expatriate organised a surfing contest there in 2008, just two of the 30-odd participants were Chinese.
- Today Riyue Bay, north of Houhai, is home to the national surfing team’s academy, set up after the International Olympic Committee accepted surfing as an Olympic sport in 2016. (The team did not qualify for the games in Tokyo, which begin on July 23rd and where surfing will make its Olympic debut.
- Its waves are said to be the most dependable ones in China for good surfing.
- Between January and May, Hainan received 11% more visitors than in the same period in 2019. Surfing also gained a lift last year when “Summer Surf Shop”, a variety show filmed in Riyue Bay, began airing on iQiyi, a Netflix-like site.
- Many come for just one session, hiring coaches who double as photographers for social-media-worthy snaps.