Sumary of A North Korean man who smuggled 'Squid Game' into the country is to be executed by firing squad, while a highschooler student who bought a USB drive with the show will be jailed for life, report says:
- A North Korean high school student watched “Squid Game” with his best friend who shared it with others.
- North Korea is coming down hard on those who distribute or watch Netflix ‘s hit show “Squid Game.
- “The reclusive country has sentenced a man who smuggled the dystopian drama to death by firing squad, while a high-schooler who bought a drive containing the show received a life sentence, according to Radio Free Asia (RFA,) citing sources within the country.
- Another six high-schoolers who watch the series have also been sentenced to five years of hard labor, reported the RFA.
- Their supervisors have also been punished, with teachers and school administrators fired.
- The South Korean series tells the story of 456 debt-laden people competing for 45.6 billion won ($38.3 million) of prize money in brutal survival games.
- “This all started last week when a high school student secretly bought a USB flash drive containing the South Korean drama Squid Game and watched it with one of his best friends in class,” a law enforcement source in North Hamgyong province told RFA’s Korean service.
- “The friend told several other students, who became interested, and they shared the flash drive with them.