Sumary of The truck runs out of young people at the wheel:
- Without reaching the level of United Kingdom, where empty shelves are already seen in supermarkets and gas stations without supply, in Europe there are a total of 400,000 carriers missing, according to the consultancy Transport Intelligence.
- The International Road Transport Organization (IRU), a European employer’s association, estimates that last year 20 percent of professional driver positions were left unfilled.
- And the problem will get worse in 2021. In our country, where 95% of national merchandise traffic is carried out by road, according to the Ministry of Transport, the gap could grow up to 150 percent.
- It is something that we have been experiencing for more than a decade, ”says Ramón Valdivia, CEO of Astic (International Road Transport Association).
- This profession is hard and lonely ”, points out his colleague Juan José Gil, general secretary of Fenadismer (National Federation of Transport Associations of Spain).
- And that last year the Council of Ministers approved lowering the legal minimum age to drive heavy vehicles from 21 to 18 years.
- According to the INE, land transport (including passenger transport) employs 557,000 people, of which 74,000 are women, just over 13 percent.
- He is 55 years old and works for ESP Solutions in international freight transport.