Sumary of Facebook is ‘overwhelmingly’ used by sex traffickers who recruit victims online, according to a new report:
- Most online recruitment in active sex trafficking cases during 2020 in the US was on Facebook, says the Human Trafficking Institute..
- The group on Thursday published its sweeping 2020 Federal Human Trafficking Report, which found that sex trafficking and forced labor victims are rarely kidnapped by strangers off the street..
- Instead, the internet has become the most popular method for human traffickers to recruit victims – data shows that 30% of victims found to have been recruited in federal sex trafficking cases between 2000 and 2020 were on the internet..
- We also work with safety groups, anti-trafficking organizations and other technology companies to address this and we report all apparent instances of child sexual exploitation to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.”.
- The report estimates that 53% of victims were identified as children, with an overwhelming majority being between the age of 14 and 17..
- Girls under the age of 18 are most likely to be victims in human trafficking prosecutions, according to the report, followed by women….