Sumary of Several high-profile websites including HSBC, Airbnb and British Airways hit by outages:
- The websites of several high-profile companies including HSBC, Airbnb and British Airways were hit by outages on Thursday.
- A message on the BA website read: “Service Unavailable – DNS failure.
- ” We have implemented a fix for this issue, and based on current observations, the service is resuming normal operations.
- Some of the sites were accessible about half an hour after the issues were first reported, just after 5pm in the UK. And there are reports other airlines and major companies are also affected, as well as the 911 service on the east coast of the US. More from Science &
- Tech It is not known exactly what caused the issues, however, Akamai reported problems with its Edge DNS Service.
- It later confirmed a fix for its services had been implemented.