Sumary of How many unicorn companies are in the UK?:
- Image source: Getty Images Share this page: In the business world, a unicorn is a privately owned business valued at over $1billion.
- Search for the term ‘unicorn’ and you’ll likely come across images of a mythical horse with a straight horn on its head.
- However, highly successful, private startup businesses are also referred to as unicorns.
- That’s because a unicorn is something highly desirable, but very difficult to obtain.
- To put this into context, of all the software startups founded in the 2000s, a mere 0.07% achieved unicorn status.
- The term was first used by venture capitalist, Aileen Lee of Palo Alto, California in 2013. How many unicorns exist?
- According to SJA accountancy, there are currently 701 unicorns in the world, with the majority based in the United States.
- Famous Unicorn companies include Reddit, Stripe and Elon Musk’s SpaceX.