Sumary of China takes on Delta and its property developers at the same time:
- Sep 15th 2021HONG KONGFOR SUCH a small place, Singapore has exercised an outsized influence on China’s economy.
- The city-state proved to reformers in China that a government could open up the economy without losing control.
- “Society in Singapore is quite orderly,” said Deng Xiaoping, China’s paramount leader, in 1992. “They managed things very strictly.
- ”Unfortunately Singapore has not managed covid-19 as strictly as China would like.
- A resident of China’s Fujian province, who recently returned from Singapore, tested positive earlier this month for the Delta variant.
- Exchanges between Singapore and China’s coastal provinces (the ancestral homelands for many Singaporeans) have brought many benefits.
- Economists worry that if the outbreak persists, it will disrupt travel and shopping during China’s week-long holiday beginning on October 1st.
- Singapore’s strictly managed property market is another model China’s reformers often admire but have failed to emulate.