Sumary of Operators and platforms are preparing for a new battle for football with the aim of lowering the cost:
- One of the most important television content auctions in this industry is approaching: soccer.
- Pay television operators, platforms and production companies have their sights set on the fall.
- The different interested parties consulted by this means acknowledge that they are waiting to know the details of the new auction before deciding whether or not they will attend it, concerned both about the price and the distribution model.
- Although in the sector all possible interested parties avoid confirming their presence in the auction, it is possible to venture who can participate.
- Three years ago, the company chaired by José María Álvarez Pallete made a strong commitment to football rights, winning the broadcast of La Liga and the Champions League for about 4,000 million euros.
- In this way, Orange avoids having to bid for the entire package and Telefónica reduces its bill for being able to offer football to its customers.
- It remains to be seen how La Liga’s attempt to introduce changes in the distribution of television rights remains and if that translates into the entry of new competitors.
- There are actors, such as Amazon, who are present in the distribution of television rights in other countries.