Sumary of Can nuclear power plants shut down without government authorization?:
- ABCMadrid Updated:09/15/2021 20: 11h KeepThe nuclear energy sector was the first to react after the approval of the government’s energy reform.
- In a harsh statement, the Nuclear Forum, the sector’s employer’s association, assured yesterday that the measures “further deepen the penalization of nuclear power generation” and warned that the measure could lead many companies to “economic unfeasibility.
- Nuclear energy is one of the cheapest to produce and, therefore, the closure of the plants could cause an additional increase in the price of electricity in the wholesale market.
- The third vice president of the Government and Minister of Ecological Transition, Teresa Ribera, demanded late on Tuesday to the nuclear power plants not to react “hot” to the Executive’s measures to lower the price of electricity and asked them “prudence.
- Thus, he recalled that Electric Network“As a system operator”, you must determine “whether or not it is possible to shut down any nuclear power plant.
- ” The minister stressed that it is a “regulated sector” that must guarantee “security of supply.
- ” “It is very likely that Red Eléctrica considers that the operation of nuclear power plants is essential for guaranteeing supply,” he defended.