Sumary of Patrick Coveney to depart as Greencore boss:
- Patrick Coveney is departing as chief executive of sandwich and convenience food maker Greencore to take up the same role at airport caterer SSP.
- Irish-based and London-listed Greencore said on Thursday that Mr Coveney would leave the group on March 30th following 14 years at its helm.
- The London-listed company this month announced a deal to run 24 restaurants and bars in Dublin Airport with partners including Irish players Teeling Whiskey and The Smokin’ Butcher.
- Greencore pledged to begin the search for a replacement immediately.
- Mr Coveney, a brother of Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney, joined Greencore as chief financial officer in 2006 before taking the top job two years later.
- He played a key role in expanding the former State-owned sugar manufacturer into a convenience foods business with sales of €1.5 billion and a lead position in the UK. Before joining Greencore, Mr Coveney worked for nine years at consultancy McKinsey &
- Greencore supplies pre-packed sandwiches to supermarkets that are sold under the retailers’ own brands.
- The group’s partners include Burger King, Japanese noodles specialist, Ajisen Ramen, Jamie’s Deli and Starbucks.