Sumary of UK To Extend Lockdown One Month As Indian Variant Spooks Officials Into Vaccine Scramble:
- Under plans drawn up to be announced on Monday, a two-week review will be included meaning Covid restrictions could be dropped on July 5 if hospitalisations stay down..
- But multiple sources told the Sun the chances of lifting restrictions as planned on June 21 were close to zero – in a massive blow to Wembley hosting of the Euros..
- According to the Financial Times, “Whitty told the prime minister a four-week delay was vital to avoid a situation in which restrictions are lifted prematurely, only to have to be restored later,”.
- news that comes as the UK records its highest weekly rate of COVID-19 cases since early March, with 45,895 new infections reported in the past week..
- regarding lifting restrictions on June 21, and Johnson may relax guidance on the size of weddings even if he maintains other restrictions into July..
- said one UK official, per the Times, while one Cabinet Office insider said “A delay [to lifting the final restrictions] is the only sensible course of action…