Sumary of UK Christmas shoppers face biggest price rises since 1990; Covid hits German consumer confidence – as it happened:
- One in 10 UK families will struggle to cover basics this winter, charity finds The pound has hit its lowest level against the US dollar this year, after some US central bank officials suggested they could end their bond-buying stimulus programme faster than expected.
- The latest minutes from the European Central Bank’s policy meeting show that supply chain problems have lasted longer than thought.
- Butlers has warned that problems caused by Brexit and rising costs will hurt the hospitality sector, just as businesses return to profit after the easing of pandemic restrictions.
- Harvester owner warns Brexit and rising costs will dent UK hospitality Multipack crisps are still the item in shortest supply at UK shops, after production problems at Walkers, followed by painkillers, frozen turkeys, sparkling water and fresh pork.
- The FTSE 100 by sector today Photograph: Refinitiv After that earlier confusion, Ofgem have now confirmed that Entice Energy has collapsed, alongside Orbit Energy.
- “The increases in global gas prices we’ve seen this year have been significant, but should not have led to the collapse of 25 firms.
- Photograph: Deutsche Bank The head of the World Trade Organization said on Thursday that she expects global supply chain problems to be short-lived, saying that they will go into 2022 but not beyond, Reuters reports.
- Supply chain problems have emerged as the global economy has pulled out of a pandemic-induced recession and threaten to slow recovery.