Sumary of Global Stocks Rise With ECB Meeting and Earnings in Focus:
- Christine Lagarde (C), president of the European Central Bank, in 2020. Photograph by Thomas Lohnes/Getty Images Global stocks continued to gain ground on Thursday ahead of what’s expected to be an easing signal from the European Central Bank, as earnings results continue to demonstrate corporate health.
- As volatile as stocks have been this week, the U.S. government bond market also has been gyrating.
- “The upshot, in our view, is that any tightening is likely to be further away than would have been the case with the old target,” said Paul Jackson, global head of asset allocation research at Invesco.
- Earnings reports, so far, have demonstrated the ability of companies to recover from Covid-19 pandemic restrictions on activity.
- Of the 82 S&P 500 companies that have reported results, earnings per share growth has been 105% on a 16% increase in sales, according to FactSet.
- Telecoms giant AT&T and chemicals company Dow report results, with social-media platform Twitter and messaging app Snap reporting after the closing bell.