Sumary of Carbon neutral and Made in Britain: Mulberry to expand factory:
- The luxury bag maker, which makes around 60 per cent of its goods in two carbon-neutral plants in Somerset, has already added an extra production line in the past year, creating 50 jobs.
- Chief executive Thierry Andretta said it will add another if sales continue to grow as expected.
- Expansion plans: Mulberry’s best-sellers include the bag named after model Alexa Chung (pictured) and the Bayswater classic designMulberry’s UK production capacity helped it brush off fears of Christmas shortages as making most of its bags in Somerset has sheltered it from supply chain disruption.
- Andretta said: ‘The bold decisions we have taken with regards to focusing on our UK production capabilities mean we are well placed for the festive trading period and beyond.
- Singaporean billionaire Christina Ong, the so-called Queen of Bond Street, owns 56 per cent of the company through Challice Limited.