Sumary of US President’s embarrassing ScoMo blunder:
- In a historic joint announcement with the United States and the United Kingdom detailing Australia’s nuclear transition, Prime Minister Scott Morrison has been called “that fellow down under” by President Biden.
- Prime Minister Scott Morrison on Thursday morning confirmed Australia would use American and British technology to build its next fleet, replacing the existing Collins class submarines.
- Mr Morrison made it clear Australia was not seeking to establish nuclear weapons or a civil nuclear capability and will abide by non-proliferation obligations.
- He quickly backtracked and addressed Mr Morrison by name as he thanked him for his partnership, but the fumble was not missed by Twitter.
- Users criticising the blunder said the announcement could have been “more significant” if Mr Biden hadn’t forgotten Mr Morrison’s name.
- Mr Morrison said over the next 18 months the three countries would work together to “seek to determine the best way forward”.