Sumary of ‘Shameful’ robodebt scandal ends with $1.7bn settlement:
- Victims of the botched robodebt scheme have won a major victory against the Australian government over the “shameful”.
- matched tax and Centrelink data to claw back welfare benefits the federal government claimed had been overpaid between 2015 and 2019..
- The government agreed to pay $112 million in compensation to people who it claimed owed them money based on the flawed debt recovery scheme, with a Federal Court judge approving the settlement on Friday..
- The scheme wrongly hounded more than 443,000 people for $1.7m in welfare debts most never owed after the government switched to the flawed system..
- News Corp Australia Since the start of the legal action the government promised to refund $751m of “invalid”.
- Justice Murphy said the group of Australians who found themselves in need of government supports included many who were marginalised or vulnerable and could be ill-equipped to understand or challenge the debts….