Sumary of PM accused of ‘losing control’ as Parliament erupts into chaos:
- Liberal MP Bridget Archer broke ranks from her party to cross the floor and support independent MP Helen Haines’ federal integrity commission bill.
- Opposition leader Anthony Albanese dug into the PM at question time for the chaotic scene, insinuating Mr Morrison no longer had a hold over his own party members.
- “Today majority of the House voted against the Prime Minister not once, but twice,” Mr Albanese said.
- Camera IconScott Morrison denied that he had ‘lost control’
- NCA NewsWire / Gary Ramage Credit: News Corp AustraliaMs Archer snubbed the party line on Thursday when she asked the house to cast a vote on whether to suspend standing orders so that Dr Haine’s federal integrity commission bill could be debated.
- But as MPs discarded the restrictions on Thursday, the chamber bustled and roared once again as the gaggle of confused politicians walked across the green carpet.
- Camera IconSpeaker of the House Andrew Wallace has capped off a messy first week in his new role with a spectacular mincing of words that sent MPs into a frenzy of confusion.
- NCA NewsWire / Gary Ramage Credit: News Corp AustraliaMr Albanese took delight in the chaos, sitting smuggly in the Prime Minister’s chair as his colleagues giggled and cheered.