Sumary of Government reminds bosses of existing onus to stamp out harassment:
- University of Sydney employment and gender expert Marian Baird, who was on the Respect@Work reference committee, said the system needed to be strengthened..
- “The fact that it comes out as a recommendation is because the current system under work, health and safety laws isn’t apparent or obvious enough for complainants,”.
- Workplace health and safety expert Kevin Jones said it was understandable there had been more focus in the WHS system on physical harm due to high rates of worker deaths in the past..
- “If they’re not going to put the positive duty in the Sex Discrimination Act they, therefore, must be more supportive of the work, health and safety processes and they need to resource those up.”.
- Zana Bytheway, the head of employment rights legal centre JobWatch, agreed, saying workplace safety inspectors were already “incredibly stretched”….