Sumary of ‘Fellow down under’: Biden’s name blunder:
- In a historic joint announcement with the United States and the United Kingdom detailing Australia’s nuclear transition, Prime Minister Scott Morrison has been called “that fellow down under” by President Biden.
- Prime Minister Scott Morrison on Thursday morning confirmed Australia would use American and British technology to build its next fleet, replacing the existing Collins class subs.
- He quickly followed his tracks and addressed Mr Morrison by name as he thanked him for his partnership.
- The fumble was not missed by Twitter, with users criticising the announcement could have been “more significant” if Mr Biden hadn’t forgotten Mr Morrison’s name.
- The new vessels will not be armed with nuclear weapons, but will use the technology used by the US and the UK. Mr Morrison said over the next 18 months the three countries will work together to “seek to determine the best way forward”.
- “This will include an intense examination of what we need to do to exercise our nuclear stewardship responsibilities here in Australia,” Mr Morrison said.