Sumary of Could e-scooters help fill the public transport gap in WA’s regions?:
- E-scooter hire is being touted as an environmentally friendly transport solution for regional towns, many of which are without public buses, trains and rideshare companies.
- Esperance Shire President Ian Mickel said the scooters would provide a much-needed transport option.
- “We’ve got no public services in town other than taxis, so we thought we’d give it a try,” Cr Mickel said.
- While some have warned that many regional locations do not have the public infrastructure necessary to safely ride e-scooters, Cr Mickel said Esperance had invested in quality bike and footpaths and did not believe that would be an issue.
- Beam is due to set up in Esperance just after new WA laws come into play, setting out speed limits, right-of-way rules, age limits and safety requirements for using this type of vehicle.