Sumary of Why are ASX 200 travel shares having such a shocker today?:
- S&P/ASX 200 Index (ASX: XJO) travel shares are having a lousy day today.
- In fact, Flight Centre Travel Group Ltd (ASX: FLT), Webjet Limited (ASX: WEB), and Qantas Airways Limited (ASX: QAN) are all in the unwelcome group of worst 5 performers on the ASX 200 today.
- COVID variant hammers confidence in ASX 200 travel shares ASX 200 travel shares, and indeed most risk-on assets, are taking a beating today on news of a new and potentially dangerous COVID variant.
- ” Of potential concern for the world’s reopening plans and investors in ASX 200 travel shares: Scientists are still trying to determine whether the new variant … is more transmissible or more lethal than previous ones.
- Air travel restrictions rolled out ASX 200 travel shares look to be getting sold off amid fears that initial travel restrictions just put in place overseas to mitigate the spread of the new variant may only be the tip of the iceberg.
- Commenting on that move, the UK’s Health Secretary Sajid Javid said (quoted by Bloomberg): “As part of our close surveillance of variants across the world, we have become aware of the spread of a new potentially concerning variant.
- ” Travellers who do arrive from these nations will need to quarantine in hotels.