Sumary of Is the Coles (ASX:COL) share price a buy today?:
- At the time of writing, Coles shares seem set to end the trading day at (or near) $15.84 a share, down 0.19% for the day..
- In fact, since reaching an all-time high of $19.26 in August last year, the Coles share price is down almost 18%..
- So at $15.84 a share, Coles has a market capitalisation of $21.14 billion, a price-to-earnings (P/E) ratio of 20.14 and a trailing dividend yield of 3.82%..
- According to iShares, the companies that make up the ASX 200 Index have an average P/E ratio of 23.19 at the present time..
- On the current Woolworths share price of $41.20, the company has a P/E ratio of 36.77 and a dividend yield of 2.45%..
- Coles has reportedly relaunched its famous ‘Down Down’ campaign, cutting the prices of more than 250 products..
- Whilst this might initially attract more customers, the double-D return may also flag the return of the ‘supermarket wars’, which plagued both Coles and Woolworths’ profits a few years back..
- According to CommSec, investment bank broker Goldman Sachs has a price target of $20.70 for Coles shares with a ‘buy’ rating, citing “resilient supermarket sector profitability”…