Sumary of World’s biggest Ikea opens in Philippines as part of global push:
- FILE PHOTO: The IKEA logo is seen on shopping carts inside an IKEA store in Navi Mumbai, India, Dec 17, 2020. (Reuters) Ikea opened its biggest store in the world in the Philippines, with the new 730,000 square foot facility in Manila a cornerstone of the home-furnishings giant’s expansion plans in Asia.
- Thursday’s opening was feted with an event held at the store’s cafeteria attended by Philippine trade secretary Ramon Lopez and foreign minister Teodoro Locsin, where Ikea’s cult-favourite Swedish meatballs were served to some attendees.
- They were accompanied for the big day by a special Philippine twist — adobo sauce.
- Platzer said the Philippines had “been the right spot on our map for the longest time.
- ” “It was always a plan to come to the Philippines,” he said.
- ” Household spending fuelled the Philippine economy’s recovery last quarter, with consumption expected to grow further in the fourth quarter as virus curbs are eased in time for the holidays.