Sumary of Automotive IC market share slips in 2020:
- The automotive share of the total IC market has never been greater than 9.0% while the communications share of the IC market peaked at 37.2% in 2013, according to IC Insights..
- Driven by the global explosion of smartphone demand, the communications market almost doubled its share of the IC market from 18.5% in 1998 to 35.0% in 2020, IC Insights said..
- Meanwhile, automotive’s marketshare increased from 4.7% in 1998 to 8.7% in 2019 before falling back to 7.5% during Covid-plagued 2020..
- In many cases, automotive ICs represent only a small portion of an IC supplier’s total sales, IC Insights noted..
- For example, the ASP for automotive application-specific ICs was US$0.96 in 2020 – 15% less than the total application-specific IC market ASP last year – and only US$0.95 in the first quarter of 2021…