Sumary of Hyundai-LG joint battery plant breaks ground in Indonesia:
- Hyundai Motor Group on Wednesday broke ground on a 10 gigawatt-hour battery cell production plant in Indonesia in cooperation with LG Energy Solution, joining the global race to secure battery cells for the future.
- Battery cells produced in Karawang will be used in Hyundai Motor and Kia’s EV models built upon Hyundai Motor Group’s dedicated EV platform, E-GMP.
- Furthermore, we expect Indonesia to play a key role in the ASEAN EV market,” Hyundai Motor Group Chairman Chung Euisun said.
- Joining from Seoul via virtual link were Hyundai Motor chief Chung, LG Energy Solution CEO Kim Jong-hyun and Hyundai Mobis CEO Cho Sung-hwan.
- The Hyundai Motor-LGES tie-up comes as global carmakers rush to set up joint ventures with battery makers to secure a stable supply of battery cells, without which no EV models can run.