Sumary of Carlyle Group to acquire A Twosome Place coffee chain:
- The global investment firm is known to be in the final phase of negotiations with Hong Kong-based Anchor Equity Partners, the current owner of the franchise.
- If the deal is finalized, Anchor Equity and its partners are expected to reap almost a 100 percent return on their investments after just a few years.
- Anchor Equity previously aimed to pursue a public offering of the coffee chain in May this year, but changed its plan after Carlyle and other global investment firms showed keen interest in buying the brand.
- Market insiders said the homegrown coffee chain’s solid performance during the pandemic was the key factor that attracted the interest.
- Although the coffee brand had been a lucrative arm of CJ Group, it was sold to a group of foreign investors ― Anchor Equity, Singaporean sovereign wealth fund GIC and the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB) ― for the 2018-2022 period for some 450 billion won, as CJ Foodville sought to improve its financial structure.