Sumary of The world must stand by Southeast Asia in its fight against COVID:
- Variants of COVID take root, the developed world needs to do more than hold its breath and hope Southeast Asia can once again fend off a conflagration in a region of some 675 million people..
- In Myanmar, the military’s disastrous grab for power has pushed the economy back down on its knees and smashed the public health system, leaving it more vulnerable than ever..
- In recent weeks, there have been welcome signs of the global ambition needed to accelerate vaccination programs in the developing world..
- As the World Bank and IMF leadership have said, as much as $50 billion of financing is needed to achieve more equitable access for vaccines, tests and treatments..
- Moreover, as it has been elsewhere in the world, the health crisis in Southeast Asia in 2020 was also an economic crisis..
- Many Southeast Asian nations now need more than vaccines from the international community to recover lost growth….