Sumary of The list of those avoiding the opening ceremony tells you a lot about how Japan feels about the Olympics:
- The list of those not attending the Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony tells you a lot about how Japan feels about the games.
- Catch up on the main COVID-19 news from July 22 with a look back at our blogMr Abe strongly campaigned for these Olympics and pushed for them in the midst of the pandemic while prime minister.
- International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach, Japan’s Emperor and Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga are all expected to attend.
- So too is French President Emmanuel Macron and Jill Biden, the wife of US President Joe Biden.
- Australia’s Olympic Committee president John Coates will also be there with Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk in tow after he ordered her to attend.