Sumary of Coronavirus latest: Japan to quarantine South African arrivals for 10 days:
- Nikkei Asia is tracking the spread of the coronavirus that was first detected in the central Chinese city of Wuhan.
- The worldwide death toll has hit 5,182,579.For more information about the spread of COVID-19 and vaccination progress around the world, please see our interactive charts and maps.
- — Global coronavirus tracker charts– Status of vaccinations around the worldFriday, Nov.
- Japan will tighten border restrictions on travelers from South Africa and five nearby countries amid concerns over a new variant, Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirokazu Matsuno says.
- The World Health Organization, based in Geneva, is convening a meeting of experts at midday local time on Friday to assess the new COVID-19 variant, B.
- 1.1.529, amid growing concern about it, WHO spokesperson Christian Lindmeier said.
- The European Union aims to stop air travel from southern Africa amid rising concerns about a new variant detected in South Africa, EU Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen said in a tweet.
- “The Commission will propose, in close coordination with Member States, to activate the emergency brake to stop air travel from the southern African region due to the variant of concern B.