Sumary of The sequence of events leading up to the exit of Gaurav Gupta from Zomato:
- Gaurav Gupta had joined Zomato in 2015 and was elevated to the position of co-founder last year Zomato has elevated Gunjan Patidar, Mohit Gupta and Akriti Chopra as the co-founder over the last 2 years.
- Zomato has been carrying out clean up drive on the side by striking off entities and vertices that didn’t contribute much to its revenue.
- Zomato’s initial public offering (IPO) was the watershed moment of the Indian startup ecosystem, paving the way for many other such newage businesses to hit the public market.
- It was all hunky dory till the time of the IPO but there have been a series of changes — both good and bad — in Zomato’s business.
- The most recent one is the exit of co-founder Gaurav Gupta, who was the head of supply at Zomato and one of the key people behind the company’s run-up to the listing.
- Gupta had joined Zomato back in 2015 as a business head of table reservation.
- He was promoted to the position of global advertising sales head in 2017 and as the chief operating officer of the company in 2018. Zomato also elevated Gupta as the co-founder of the company in 2019. Over the past two years, Zomato has elevated several key management personnels to the position of co-founders.
- This includes Gunjan Patidar, Mohit Gupta and Akriti Chopra.