Sumary of Tata Steel commissions first ever plant in Jamshedpur to capture carbon dioxide:
- Tata Steel on Tuesday announced the commissioning of a carbon capture unit at its plant in Jamshedpur.
- The unit can capture five tonnes of carbon per day, the company said.
- “Tata Steel today (Tuesday) commissioned a five tonnes per day (TPD) carbon capture plant at its Jamshedpur Works, making it the country’s first steel company to adopt such a carbon capture technology that extracts carbon dioxide (CO2) directly from the blast furnace gas,” Tata Steel said in a statement.
- Tata Steel will reuse the captured CO2 on site to promote the circular carbon economy, it said.
- Explaining the process, the company said the carbon capture and utilisation (CCU) facility uses amine-based technology and makes the captured carbon available for onsite reuse.