Sumary of Democrats slam Mitch McConnell for taking economy ‘hostage’ by rallying GOP against extending US’s ability to pay its bills on time:
- Democrats assailed Mitch McConnell for trying to rally Republicans against raising the debt ceiling.
- Congressional Democrats slammed Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky on Wednesday for threatening to oppose an extension of the US’s ability to pay its bills, a step that could jeopardize the US’s economic recovery if Congress doesn’t act.
- Ron Wyden, chair of the Senate Finance Committee, told reporters that the national debt ballooned under President Donald Trump as a result of the pandemic and a 2017 Republican tax law that reduced the country’s tax revenue from large corporations.
- TOP VIDEOS FOR YOU “Now Mitch McConnell wants to skip out on paying the bills, we are not going to let him do it.
- ” Wyden said Democrats didn’t make political demands in exchange for supporting raising the debt ceiling while Trump was in office.
- ” “Mitch McConnell is playing Russian roulette with this economy,” Sen.
- The Kentucky Republican said in an interview published on Punchbowl News on Monday that Republicans wouldn’t strike a deal with Democrats to raise the debt ceiling, the statutory limit that the federal government can borrow to pay its bills.
- McConnell said Democrats would have to do it alone through reconciliation, a legislative track that only requires a majority vote and would therefore be feasible to pass without Republican support.